These types of abuse claims are becoming more and more prominent. It is suspected that is due to the fact that the elder victim is unable to communicate effectively what has happened to them. As such these cases often times do not get reported or noticed. One of the most effective ways to protect your loved ones is to visit them often in their nursing home or assisted living facility. When you are there often, you are able to observe any changes in the elderly person’s mood, appearance, health, and behavior.
When a person has Alzheimer’s disease they often become more of a target to be abused or taken advantage of financially. They often times will not remember the abuse that they just encountered and therefore do not communicate it to others and the abuse will more than likely continue.
There are several signs that you should be on the lookout for if you have an elderly loved on with Alzheimer’s disease.
- If the senior has new cuts, burns, scrapes, bruises, or other injuries
- If the senior is dehydrated or is malnourished
- A significant reduction in their ability to communicate with you
- New and quickly developing health issues
- Wide mood swings
- Newly found aggressive behavior
- If they are pulling away from their normal social routine with friends
- Inexplicable financial issues
This type of elderly abuse makes my stomach turn. If you suspect that your loved one is being abused please report the behavior to the authorities then call our office. We will be there as the voice for your loved one and seek the justice that will get this unspeakable behavior to cease.